Thursday, January 17, 2013

I forgot to tell everyone I can read!

Tonight Sanders and I worked on his reading. He can't really "read", but he's been very interested in spelling.  It's also ironic because he is still working on recognizing all the letters. He probably only really knows about 5 of them.

Be that as it may, he is still very interested in spelling.

Super simple words. Actually only one word. "No".

Yes, I'm delighted that's the one word he knows.

"N- O, No".

"N - O, No".

"What does S O spell?"

"What does PRS spell?"

All. day. long.

Tonight I was reading one of the Bob Books to him. (His choice)

I pointed out the word, "Go" and the word "Bus". We talked about each letter.  Then whenever we came to one of those words, which was a lot because that's the whole point, I would ask him what that word said. Of course these are merely memorization skills but it's a start.

When we got to the end of the book he was soooooooo excited. He said, " I forgot to tell everyone I can read!!!!!"

"You can?"

"Yup. Go and Bus...even when it's different!" (meaning when their is a little b in front)

"That's awesome! I will tell everyone."

"OH! And I know other words!"

"You do? Which ones?"

"N - O, NO!!!"

I told him I was so proud of him for learning and that I thought he was pretty smart.

"Why?"

"Because you want to learn new things and that is what makes you smart."

"Right. You're welcome, Mom."

We ended with the best hug! What a fun night. 




* Sanders turns 4 March 2, 2013

1 comment:

Elena Loo said...

That is so great! I love those happy nights. Way to go Sanders!