Sunday, January 3, 2010

Tricky Tooth Fairy


Karaia has a fascination, probably more accurately, an intense love, for losing and pulling teeth. Thankfully, only her own......so far.

Her top front teeth have been lose for quite awhile. Every other day she asks Kevin to see if he can pull them out. So far, each time, Kevin would wiggle them and tell her they weren't ready yet, but if she spent some time wiggling them on her own they would be ready soon.

This, of course, was not what she wanted to hear and would send her into a moping wiggle-fest for the next 15 minutes.

Last night, Karaia came upstairs to ask her dad if he could please pull out her tooth now. At first, we were just going to turn her right around and send her back to bed. Then she opened her mouth and I saw the distinct color red around her tooth. Tonight was the night.

Pretty much she was in cloud nine. Not only after we told her it was coming out tonight, but all during the time Kevin was actually trying to get the tooth out. She was giggling and laughing even when it hurt. When the tooth finally gave up and let Kevin relocate it to his hand, it might as well have been Christmas all over again only the present was a new hole in her mouth.

(this picture makes me giggle so much!)

With that knowledge you can understand the shock that came this morning.

"Mom, I have to tell you something. We did it too late."

"Did what?"

"Took my tooth out to late. We missed the Tooth Fairy. She didn't come. My tooth is still under my pillow."

"Oh........................dear."

I went and told Kevin of the situation at which we both realized the we had not heard or seen the tooth fairy the night before either. Yikes! And it never occurred to either of us to go down to Karaia's room last night and "check".

I decided I'd better go check Karaia's bed, just in case. Now Karaia sleeps with three pillows. She puts her head on one and the other two go on either side of her body. I lifted up the head pillow knowing what I would find. Yup, there was the tooth, just where she had left it. After a quick "feel" with my hand under the other pillows I asked if she had looked under ALL the pillows. She had not.

Lo and behold, under one of the side pillows was a shiny gold one dollar coin! Imagine that.

What a tricky, not at all forgetful, Tooth Fairy.

5 comments:

April Weeks said...

Yahoo! pretty tricky tooth fairy!

Chrissy said...

Yup, that many pillows is bound to be a little confusing for the poor Tooth Fairy. She and Jake have twinner grins right now! Love it! :)

Tobi said...

You are lucky Karaia didn't leave a note with questions for the Tooth Fairy and spots to fill in the blank. I think it took our Tooth Fairy an extra night to get around to that task.

Lawson Family said...

I can so see OUR tooth fairy doing the same thing! Her face is priceless!

AmyPoll said...

You've learned well...I can't count how many times we have had to come up with creative ideas!!!