Sunday, April 1, 2012

Mostly excited

Today we spilled the beans to the kids.

We are taking them to Disneyland later this month!! I had high hopes, as always, of witnessing jumps of joy, and honestly maybe a few tears of happiness shed, when we told them the news.

What I got was still good, but I do set the bar high in my mind.

Today is April Fools day, we didn't do anything for it, but I decided in the afternoon to see if I could tie the trip and the day together. The kids have known for awhile that sometime this year we will be going to Disneyland because Sanders in now 3 and that has been the plan for awhile.

I gathered the kids together and said, "You know how we were planning on going to Disneyland sometime this year? Well, it looks like that won't be able to happen."

Beckham got concerned, but Karaia just started laughing because my timing was horrible and my statement was recently preceded by a conversation about the nature of the day. She saw right through my ruse.

Eventually I got around to saying, "April Fools! We are going (I'll leave the details of the dates out---it's a public blog after all *wink*)!

The joy was there it was just restrained. Karaia silently raised her fits in the air and started pumping them. Beckham turned to see what Karaia's reaction would be. Sanders was building legos and couldn't be bothered to try and decipher such adult conversation and Tennyson was similarly occupied.

The payoff came when Kevin repeated the news to Tennyson who said, "WHAT?!?!?!? I DIDN'T KNOW THAT! We are going to Disneyland TODAY!!!" He didn't let the correction that we weren't actually going today distract from his excitement as he turned to relay the news to Sanders. Sanders got very excited and then quickly went back to some serious lego building.

So all in all we are all very excited and now I don't have to worry about keeping the surprise!

Let the Disney preparations begin!!!

1 comment:

BJ said...

When are you going?We will be there later this month also. We are surprising the kids.