Sunday, July 20, 2008

The young and the restless

That is the title of my life every Sunday.

It's as if my children are incapable of being reverent. Although, I'm sure most of it has to do with Sacrament meeting being last. Beckham told me this morning as we were getting ready that, "Church takes SOOOO long. After we have primary, Sacrament meeting is too long!!" I asked him if he thought his classes where long. He told me, "No. Just Sacrament meeting." I couldn't argue.

Now, I really enjoy church....or I remember enjoying it the last time I got to listen.......

But after two full hours of keeping a very loud one year old semi-occupied, because all he really wants to do is go and pull the table cloth off the table during RS or climb up the teachers leg during Sunday School (which of course I don't let him---resulting in ear drum shattering screeches), it's seems a near impossible task to maintain the attentions of two more children, for yet ANOTHER hour. Especially when they have already been reverent (I'm assuming) for two hours. It's in that third hour that they morph into animal like primates.

They can't seem to find the front of the chapel or the bottom of their rear ends. Wiggle, squirm, stare at the person behind you, flop to the floor as if you no longer have bones, whine, wiggle, talk very loudly to make sure everyone can hear, squirm, lament how you are going to die because you are soooo hungry!, Oh and tired!, pull someones hair, blow spit bubbles, whine, squirm..........

This was all before the sacrament was passed around too!

Kevin is gone for a week. He left this morning. So I didn't have a team member to battle the boredom. PLUS, I can't be a hall monitor with Tennyson, which really is the calling of all parents of children ages 1 to 18 months, because I can't leave the other two alone.....I can only imagine coming in to find them literally swinging off the ceiling lights, just to let off some pent up energy. In short, we left after the sacrament.

Which is really a shame because there was a homecoming and a farewell in my ward. AND I finally received a calling as the RS secretary after having been in our home for almost a year. I should have stayed and been set apart but I sure everyone involved appreciates me not bringing stir crazed little people among those who actually got to listen and still have a peaceful spirit in the hearts. Pretty sure we would have sent that feeling home.

Instead, I sent us home. I think it's for the better this time......

12 comments:

Kim Madsen said...

Emilie,

I well remember those days...I've often thought that it's weird how the men in charge of thinking these things up actually think it's a good idea to make children sit through Sacrament Meeting last. I think they should have to sit and hold the kids. also whoever thought that having a three hour block was a good idea ought to be shut in a room with a bunch of rampaging 18 month olds. Also whoever thought having a block at 1 - 4 PM was a good idea should have to hold all the children who are usually napping at that time of day. All I can tell you is have courage--these days shall pass all too quickly. Please know though, that the antics of little ones like yours are what keep us grandmas and grandpas awake and enjoying the meeting. I love sitting behind rambunctions kids and watching their parents deal with it. I did it, your kids will do it someday...it's all a great big circle that should be enjoyed and appreciated. You're kids are great little people. Love, Aunt Kim

April Weeks said...

I remember too! (amazing I know) In fact it was when I was pregnant with you that they changed to the block meeting. Kim is right. Every one around you knows you are trying and delighting in your efforts. Congratulations on your calling. YOu will be a great asset to the Presidency, all though I am primary secretary now and feel very much out of my comfort zone... give me kids to love, not have to keep records and numbers etc. but whatever I do(sort of do) my best. I probably could be much more organized... anyway, enjoy the service. Let me know if I can take the kids for a while to give you a break, with Kevin gone.

Elder and Sister Longhurst said...

Emilie,
Just the fact that you are there and trying gets huge points!!! It helps to picture your sons sitting in the Bishop's chair in future years - - kind of humourous seeing them squirm and whine in that situation - -

Actually, it can get worse - - my friends husband was the Bishop when her children were small. . . the family sat on the front row which gave her a slight sense of help from the stand, at least with a frown here and there. Well, one Sunday during the sacrament, she looked up to see him trying to catch her eye. His face was pale, and he was pointing at the child furthest from her down the bench. It was then that she noticed the pet lizard crawling through her daughter's hands.

It was a moment of sheer terror, but we all had to hear of it later because with great composure, she picked up the baby, grabbed the lizard and headed to the hall without any of us knowing that a reptile was loose in the building!

Hang in there - you're doing a fabulous job!!!

Janice said...

Grandma Janice says - You write with perfect brilliance. It is not hard to picture the setting especially when I saw a similar situation in our ward today. Hang in there they are gone from home all too soon. Congratulations on the calling.

jillian said...

didn't you say you wished you were more organized? SOMEONE must have been listening :) good luck, and come visit this week, I'll need some help entertaining kids I haven't tended for a week!

Chrissy said...

I personally think there should be a seperate Sunday School class for parents of babies 12-18 months, then we could put them down and let them crawl and explore to their hearts content while we enjoy some sort of lesson with other people who won't be bothered by the occasional screaming toddler. I say they should set aside a class room instead of these poor parents wandering the halls and foyers like persons without a country. My heart goes out to you and all others who have such a backwards meeting block, my 2 year old can't make it through sacrament meeting and it is first in our meeting block. Look around for someone who's child is behaving worse than yours and know the sympathy you feel for them is what others are feeling for you.

Lawson Family said...

Man, Sacramenting Last?! I feel for you Em! And especially at that hour too!! Congrants on the new calling!! It's always nice to feel involved and that calling hopefully will be the right amount!

Emily said...

All I can say is AMEN sister!! I would be more than happy to let my kids act like "primates" at home if they would just control it at church. And you are a nice person. I am pretty sure that you don't deserve the "I'm going to pretend that I am being possessed" treatment. Whoever decided to put sacrament meeting last in your building needs to be shot - or at least toilet papered!

Colle said...

Oh man I only have 2 kids and I am going crazy. We went to our new ward for the first time yesterday and there are only like 4 or 5 kids under the age 3 and 1/2 so needless to say it was so so quiet. I don't understand why sacrament is last seriously it doesn't work well for kids. well I guess now you know you are not alone there are mothers and fathers all across the world dealing with the same irrreverent children issues.

cwilson said...

I hear you loud and clear emilie!!

Skye O. said...

sounds familiar! Matt has had to miss several Sundays, which won't change, and it is hard to get there because I know what will be coming...chaos! Good luck!

I just got released from that calling. I loved it!!

Teresa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.