Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Karaia is 10!

Karaia turned 10 Dec. 18th! She was so excited for this birthday and would spontaneously break out into giggles and crazy faces and body movements when her brain reminded her of the upcoming event.

We decided to have her friend party on Dec. 14th. She wanted a pajama party with manicure, pedicures, and facials. I thought that was a great idea. The one problem was I had a deadline for my designs. I worked on my designs all throughout the week and my plan was to plan and shop for the party the morning of the 14th. It would have worked out fine except I woke up with the flu and even blinking my eyes sent dangerous waves to my stomach.

I called my mom who graciously went shopping for gift bags and fun spa things to do. My friend Jo'elle came and grabbed the two younger boys so I could sleep. And Kevin took a half day off of work, picked up the boys and then started cleaning the house. I kept trying to get up and help, but it was no use. I was down. We talked about rescheduling it, but with the holidays looming we quickly realized it had to be that day or some day in January. My mom found the most perfect things for the party and put everything all together. I gave Kevin some last minute instruction and then crossed my fingers and toes...as slowly as possible...and said a thousand prayers and nine 9 and 10 year olds began to arrive for the party.

Kevin was amazing. I could hear the girls laughing. Karaia kept running in my room to show me the present she opened. I love that she was trying to include me. Such a sweetheart! After it was all said and done one of the little girls looked and Kevin and said, "This was a pretty good party, even if it was run by a boy!" Success!

Seriously. I married an amazing guy. He even showed them how to do mud masks!











Her actual birthday was on Tuesday. She got some new clothes and Lego Friends.









They are a big hit and I am reminded how much I love legos.  We also had our family party that night. We love that we live so close to family and that they are willing to add something else to their holiday season if they haven't got anything else that evening. It would be so easy to say no, this is our one night with nothing to do. Thank you! And thank you to everyone who was there in spirit or celebrated earlier with us!

Between her party and her birthday Karaia had a dance/choir recital. She sang a solo. I had tried to get her to practice before hand, but she struggled to get herself to sing in front of me. Finally I suggested getting in a dry shower with the door shut and I would just be in the room, but she wouldn't have to see me. Still struggling after that, I said, "Karaia, this might be a problem. How are you going to be able to sing in front of a lot of people if you can't sing in front of me?"

"Mom. I have this weird thing. I can't sing in front of my family, but I can sing in front of other people."

"Well, that's not fair! I helped make that voice. I should be able to hear it."

"I said I was weird, not awesome."

After that little exchange she managed to make a few noises that vaguely resembled her part. I thought, well, she'll do just fine. At least she's not scared.

 





At the performance, I was frazzled because Sanders did. not. want. to. sit. still. Holidays are hard for 3 year olds. There are a lot of places to be and a lot of people trying to entertain you while you be still. Then Karaia started singing. She was amazing! I had no idea she had such a voice! She wasn't nervous and her tone was pure and lovely. I was grateful she had that opportunity. It was such a treat that it was a surprise to me and I got to hear it for the first time along with everyone else. I learned my lesson. Weird is way better than awesome some times ;)



Karaia has been so fun this last year. We've started shifting the paradime of our relationship. While I will always be more her mother than her friend while she is growing up we've begun to have a lot more friend moments.

She has become so responsible as well. We have made her our go to babysitter for short outings. She takes it seriously and tries her best to learn from the challenges of the previous time.

She enjoys all of her brothers, but her and Sanders have a special bond. It's darling to watch.

She is an excellent friend and can't stand when one friend is mean to another. She just doesn't understand it. Which I am grateful for.

We are so happy she is a part of our family!

No comments: