Monday, September 17, 2012

Cereal Stairs

Today. Oh my friends, today was an exercise in finding the joy. I'm happy to report that I succeeded, but I certainly earned that reward.

I got up at 5:30 am. Why? Because I know it is good for me to exercise. I even went to bed before midnight. That is quite the accomplishment for me! When I wake up I reach for my phone and read any emails that have made their way into my inbox. Turns out, there are more people like me out in the world and I am friends with a lot of them (go figure) so I always have about 4 -5 emails to help me wake up.

This morning, in my inbox was a blog post from my little sister, Meghan. She has a super full plate and is trying to find the right balance of fight and acceptance. Her plate is one I have not tasted. I can't offer anything that is remotely useful as far as "fixing" anything goes. I don't have a life experience to pull from. For most of the day I found my thoughts drifting towards her spirit trying to find the path that would help her best. It was kind of all day thing so I'll continue on with my day for a moment.

Sanders has play group on Mondays with Sonja and Kate. These three are really the best kind of kids. Obedient, kind, playful, just overall excited about life. We went on a little walk and gathered treasures (read rocks, flowers, pine cones...oh the pine cones!) They played very nicely until snack time. The girls decided it was girl time only which left Sanders feeling alone. We talked about including everyone and noticing how behaviors made others feel. It took some time, but soon tears where dried, hugs were given and the friendship resumed. I loved the lesson on forgiveness they taught me today.

Later in the day is was time to pick grapes. We have been so blessed this year. And by blessed I mean it has taken HOURS to pick these grapes and we are still not done. Still, we love grape juice and it's free. You really can't be grumpy about that. Plus, my cute sister-in-law, Danica, came over to help pick and offer some friendly conversation. That is always a highlight.

The thing is we both have 3 year olds. Which rocks. Except when they decide that while the moms are outside, being inside and throwing cereal at Tennyson on the stairs is a good idea. I have no idea how long they did this...but it really was everywhere. It was awe inspiring to see just how much...was everywhere! Still, my stairs needed a good vacuuming today and this eliminated any excuse I could possibly make to avoid doing it. I wish I would have taken a picture. It was impressive!

Our dear friends, the Weilers invited us to dinner. It was perfect. The food was great, the company was delightful. At one point Sanders came running back from the pack that is just beyond their back yard to tell me he had pooed in his pants. The thing is, he was so, so sorry. He kept saying, "I'm sorry mom! I held it too long." It was so different from the response I get from Tennyson who takes no responsibility when things like this happen. It's impossible to even get annoyed when they are already so disappointed in themselves.

So tonight. My thoughts returned to Megan. I put a plea out to some friends with suggestions on how to help. I got many, many responses and felt lifted and buoyed up. It reminded me that Heavenly Father usually answers prayers through other people. I'm very grateful for that today.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Good job in finding the joy! And I'm glad you found some answers. I'm praying for her too.