Thursday, March 3, 2016

Sanders turns 7!



It's a little odd to realize it's been seven whole years since I was last pregnant. Sanders turned 7 yesterday on March 2. He was SO excited to reach this milestone. Me? I'm still processing it.



7 years is old. 6 is still little, but a seven year old really feels more like a big kid than a little kid. Even though they are still little. It's quite the paradox.

Sanders only wanted two things for his birthday. A fish and a pokemon binder. My sister had a 10 gallon fish tank she wasn't currently using and said we could use it for as long as we'd like! We took her up on that generous offer and set about setting that fish tank up in his room when Sanders went to sleep on his last night of being a six year old. The tank is bigger than a small fish bowl so we got him 8 fish. 5 neons, two gold fish, and one dalmation molly.

The set up went smoothly without a single stir from the birthday boy. I knew it would most likely happen, but it was even better when it did. He woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. I didn't hear him say anything, so when he returned to his room I went in to check on him. He said, "I just had to use the bathroom."

"Okay"

"...I saw my fish," he said with a sly little grin.

"Do you love them?!?!"

"YES!"



He got out of his bed and we laid on our bellies (the tank is currently on the ground) and talked about all the fish in there while we enjoyed each other's company. It was magical. Sanders is a bit stubborn, bossy, and moody at this stage in his life, along with a slew of good qualities, but you know, sometimes they go through these not so awesome phases. It was pure heaven to be reminded of his true personality in those quiet moments in the middle of the night.

Sanders is inquisitive and truly finds joy in the little things. He's very intelligent and remembers and seeks information just like his dad and his brothers. He gets his silliness from me though. I'll claim that trait any day of the week.

He is a dare devil and loves all big, fast rides. He can't get enough of them. It's the best that he's finally reached the height that he mostly likely will not be turned away from any ride.

Pokemon are life right now. His friends come over and they trade and barter. It's a good life lesson on making sure you get the value you want before you agree to give up something you love.

I got to go to his school and pass out his requested treats, green sprinkle doughnuts.Thank goodness his birthday is in March! We talked about the pictures on his poster and I read a Dr. Seuss book, "I Can Lick 30 Tigers", to the class. He shares his birthday with the author. School has been an emotional roller coaster this year. I was very grateful to help him have a happy day there.




For his birthday breakfast he wanted the cereal Lucky Charms. I love it when my kids make it easy to please them.



Our family isn't perfect, but they are perfect for me. Sometimes, in the still moments, after the chaos of the day has settled, my heart nearly bursts in gratitude that I get to raise these amazing humans. We're changing and growing. This might be my favorite stage yet.



Happy Birthday Sand-man. We love you!




1 comment:

April Weeks said...

I can't believe he is 7 either! He looks so much like you, such a darling boy! You have a wonderful, delightful family! I love you all so much!